Top 7 things to do in Leicester
Leicester is a vibrant, beautiful city with lots of different cultures, our kitchens showroom (of course!) and history packed into it. A city worth visiting, here we list the top 7 things we think are must to do when in Leicester:
- National Space Centre – this out of the world experience is one not to miss. The National Space Centre is the largest planetarium in the UK, dedicated to space exploration and science. With many attractions inside, such as a thrilling 3D simulator experience and the 42 m high rocket tower, you will not be disappointed with this unique experience, perfect for a family day out.
- King Power Stadium – ever since Leicester City Football Club have won the Premier League, their stadium tours have been soaring. Running on weekends, go take a peak of the areas of the stadium, where popular players such as have Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez have stood, and get the opportunity to learn about the clubs history. If you a football fan, this is a must to do!
- New Walk Museum and Art Gallery – the original museum in Leicester, this one is perfect for a family friendly day out. Including a range of galleries such as Ancient Egypt, Dinosaurs, Victorian Art, containing the finest of art collections, and one aimed for under fives, The Den, this museum has a range of art to cater for all ages.
- King Richard III Visitor Centre – this centre has been built to tell the story of the extraordinary search and discovery of King Richard III’s body. In August 2012, a search began for King Richard III’s remains underneath a car park and five months later the skeleton unearthed was confirmed to be his. The centre stands on the site where his body was buried 500 years ago and for those who thrive off history, this exhibition will be the perfect choice for you.
- Leicester Guildhall – Being one of the best-preserved timber framed halls in the country, it’s an essential in Leicester’s history. Having now been standing for 600 years, it has had many uses throughout the years such as the mayor’s parlour and a courtroom, it is now home to Medieval Leicester Galleries, where you will be taken back to the Medieval times, walking through the streets of Medieval Leicester, uncovering a new era!
- Great Central Railway – being UK’s only double track, main line heritage railway, this attraction is a unique one! Running every weekend, bank holidays and some days during summer, it’s the only time and place in the world where full-size steam engines can be seen passing each other.
- Golden Mile – A whole mile dedicated to the Asian culture, showing the city’s vivacious side. With a variety of ethnic shops such as Indian clothing wear stores, gold and jewellery stores; this road is must to visit as it defines Leicester.